School Admission Arrangements for the 2023-24 School Year
Burton Agnes CE VC Primary School
As a voluntary controlled school, the admission authority for Burton Agnes CE VC Primary School is East Riding of Yorkshire Council. Each year admission authorities review the admission arrangements for their schools, and then formally set – or ‘determine’ – these arrangements. Admission arrangements include the number of places made available for Reception – called the published admission number – as well as how preferences for places will be considered if there are more preferences than places available – called the oversubscription criteria. Together these details are sometimes known as the ‘admissions policy’.
If an admission authority wants to make any changes to their admission arrangements, the admission authority must consult on any proposed changes to those arrangements before determining the arrangements. Even where changes are not proposed, a consultation must take place at least every seven years.
As some changes are proposed this year, between Tuesday 2 November and Tuesday 14 December, the Council is consulting on the admission arrangements for community and voluntary controlled schools for the 2023-24 school year.
All these draft arrangements are available online at:
Whilst the vast majority of the admission arrangements for 2023-24 are procedurally identical to those for previous years, five schools, including Burton Agnes CE VC Primary School, have requested a change to their admission number for the start of the 2023-24 school year.
The change proposed at Burton Agnes CE VC Primary School is to increase the admission number from 14 to 15. If approved, this change would not come into force for the year group starting in September 2022, but only from September 2023.
During this period the Council are interested in the views of any residents, schools, parents/carers or other interested parties, and would ask that all views be expressed via the online survey accessible from the page link above and also at:
Burton Agnes CE VC Primary School
What change is being proposed?
The governing body of the school has requested that the admission number for the school is increased from 14 to 15 for the Reception year group for the start of the 2023-24 school year.
What reasons have the school given for the change?
- the school’s finances would be supported by the admission of approximately 15 children per year given the fixed costs of teaching staff per class;
- that one extra pupil per year would have a marginal effect in terms of any negative disruptions whilst bringing positive benefits in terms of maximising resources for the school;
- there would be no changes to the physical capacity of the school which is able to accommodate 15 pupils in each year group; and
- the school would require no additional staffing to accommodate the increased number of children.
What other information is available about this proposed change?
- the school is currently operating four classes, by mixing year 1/2, year 3/4 and year 5/6 pupils, and so this number will not require an increase in the number of classes; and
- the net capacity figure of the school is expected to be at or close to 105 with an admission number of 15. This is sufficient for the change on a sustainable basis.
If approved, this change would not come into force for the year group starting in September 2022, but only from September 2023.